Thursday 27 September 2007

Twilight zone that is our house

Our household is not the most tidy and organized one by long run. In fact things have been known to mysteriously disappear and then just as mysteriously reappear couple of years later.

I am still looking for:
1) Waffle/toasted sandwich maker
2) Peeling knife
3) Around 300 single socks as my washing machine is located on top of sock consuming Black Hole
4) numerous other household items which I currently can't think of. Cause I've become kinda blasè on the subject.

Yesterday evening The Ultimate Other Half came upstairs to find me trying to read a book in the bed on my belly, duvet pulled up to my ears.

"Do you think I should take out the winter duvet?" he asked carefully.

I agreed that it might be a good idea.

"Where is it?" he queried.

"Ehmmm... Might be in the press next to stairs or in the junk room," I guessed.

You can see where it's going, can't you?!

The duvet wasn't in the press next to stairs or in the junk room. Neither was it in the guest room. Or in any of the wardrobes. Or anywhere at all.

It had just vanished.

Now let me tell you - it's one thing to lose a waffle maker or a peeling knife. No art to it really.

But a huge king sized feather filled duvet - that takes some skill!

Somehow we didn't feel too proud, just increasingly cold. Two old tired double duvets were dragged out from obscurity and spread on the bed.

Next twenty minutes were spent discussing who exactly had lost the duvet. The Ultimate Other Half kept insisting it wasn't him which didn't do much for his popularity levels. If it goes on like that he'll be watching rugby at home on Sunday, I'm telling you! On the SMALL TV!!!

Eventually I was able to move my toes again.

"It's getting kinda too hot with two duvets," I complained.

The Ultimate Other Half thought about it for a moment.

"You realize of course that when we throw it off the bed now we'll probably never see it again," he said.

The duvet stayed on the bed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's ok. As soon as you stop looking for it and forget all about it it'll reappear, most probably in your freezer or some such unlikely place.

My house sounds just like your house!

Anonymous said...

Re: the sock thing. I think you'd do well to read this - http://coffeehelps.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/in-search-of-the-truth/

I completely identify with you on this. I once lost a wing chair. I'm being completely serious.

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, I don't even HAVE a winter duvet. And my central heating is, as you know, totally useless. If you don't hear from me for a while, it's because I'm hibernating.

Loved this post, by the way - made me giggle!

Foreigner by Default said...

k8 - I have found forks under my pillow, underwear neatly rolled into boots, books in a fridge and wallpaper paste in wardrobe. Duvet in the freezer wouldn't surprise me much.

Good to know I'm not alone.

hails - a wing chair - wow! You are my role model from this moment on!

Is it just me? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Is it just me? said...

K8's right just stop looking and it'll show up..at least thats the way it works around here.
It used to be a running joke in our house when we were small, the way my mum used to 'hide' her valuables..only to fly into the most amazing panic when she realised she couldn't remember where she'd hidden them.
I realised recently that I do the same thing and now have to stop myself everytime I decide to 'put something away for safe-keeping'.
This became especially clear to me after I spent two weeks lamenting the 'loss' of my wedding and engagement ring (having put them away for safe-keeping) only to discover them behind the cistern in the en-suite.....

Foreigner by Default said...

isitjustme - I just realized I'm not sure where my wedding ring is :O
I've never been so organized as to consciously hide things away though. :D

Anonymous said...

Your my kinda person..my life is a lost and found department...I lost my wedding ring once as well and found it two weeks after the divorce papers went through which made it a useless exercise really..I am working on small things and working my up to bigger things..hopefully one day I can misplace a refrigerator or something...

Anonymous said...

Actually, this has happened to me, such as losing things without even leaving the vicinty - such as when I was in my car, when my coin purse mysteriously disappeared. I had not even gotten out of my car, but when I went to look for it, it was not there, nor anywhere to be found, not even by another person. What about that? Horrible.

 
template by suckmylolly.com