Tuesday 9 October 2007

The Flippin Lion Never Sleeps

There's a moment in every parent's life when (s)he makes A First Big Mistake.

Something that will haunt and torture you for months and maybe even years to come.

I made that mistake last week. Trying to amuse slightly cranky Sir Sprout I showed him this:


It cheered him up a bit so I showed it again. He clapped. He hummed. He waved. He bounced.

Awww, I thought, how cute, he really likes that song.

So I let him watch it again. I showed The Ultimate Other Half how funny Sir Sprout is when he enjoys the lovely lion song.

He found it amusing as well.

Over the weekend we watched the video a lot. Can't say I and Other Half enjoyed it as much as first times but Sir Sprout sure did.

By Sunday evening we were quite relieved when the bath-and-bottle time arrived.

Yesterday when we got home from creche I plonked Sir Sprout quite unceremoniously on the floor and made an urgent run towards loo. Barely had I gotten there when I heard the young one in family room.

"La-la-la-la-laaaa," was his message to the world.

Since I was in quite a hurry I didn't pay much attention. But Sir Sprout kept pleading more and more urgently.

"LALALALALALA-LALALALAAAAAAA!!"

Getting a bit worried I managed to achieve quite impressive result in speedy liquid disposal. I made it to the family room in quite reasonable time. Sir Sprout didn't think so.

He was standing in front of computer, pointing to the screen and demanding angrily.

"LAAA-LAAAA-LAAAAAAA!!!"

I took the hint and proceeded to switching on the computer. Meanwhile Sir Sprout was growing increasingly frustrated.

"LAAAA-FREAKIN-LAAAAA-LAAA-LAAAA!!!"

With shaking hands I started the browser, found the bookmark, propped him on my knee and started the video.

Ee-e-e-um-um-a-weh
Ee-e-e-um-um-a-weh
Wemoweh, wemoweh, wemoweh, wemoweh..

Baby humming. Baby dancing. Baby clapping. Baby happy.

Parents screwed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

now you've done it...when my daughter was 2 we showed her a video of the Wizard of Oz..it became the every dare fare for eons..I think she saw a couple of thousand times..we tried to substitute other things...NO GO!!!! to this day and she's 25 now she can recite evry line from that damn movie...Everytime I see Judy Garland I want to scream...

Unknown said...

I'm getting that way, oddly, with Janis Joplin's song "Mercedes Benz." For a while I was happy my boy liked it. Now I just want to avoid it.

Anonymous said...

My poor mother had this problem with me and my Postman Pat theme tune record. "Po-po-pa!" I'd insist throughout the day, tugging mercilessly on her trouser leg as she tried to achieve something in the way of housework. Eventually she realised it was either do housework to the tune of Postman Pat and his black-and-white cat (constantly), or do no housework at all and suffer a small child hanging from her leg and wailing senselessly all day.
Poor mum. Poor you, for this tune is much more annoying. Try getting him into the Beatles or something. Worked for my mum...

Cycles Goff said...

In a high pitched girly way, nascar? 'Cause that wouldn't be that unusual...

I've had this same issue, same song with my older daughter. She went for the REM cover though, the contrary little minx.

 
template by suckmylolly.com