Friday 12 October 2007

Couple time

It is now 4 years and 2 days since I and The Ultimate Other Half became A Very Official Item and got a fancy binded document to prove it.

On Wednesday morning he dutifully handed me the flowers and I provided him with A Day Of Slightly Less Nagging. I was able to master such a substantial gift mainly by making sure we didn't spend much time together.

After getting home from work we stuffed Sir Sprout with random leftovers from the fridge, let him run riot for a while, hosed him down, squeezed into pyjamas (WAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAA!!), pumped full of milk and deposited him into his cot for night.

Then I donned my dancing gear (read:track suit + runners) and took off with The Fancy Neighbouress to attend our third lesson in salsa dancing. I don't know why it's called salsa dancing since so far we've been shown the basics of cha-cha-cha and rumba but, quite frankly, I don't care.

I am also determined to ignore all the minor earthquakes caused by my attempts of booty-shaking.

And if any of you experienced some particularly nasty bouts of wind knocking over the dog houses or fences on Wednesday - sorry, but we were TOLD to wiggle our racks and I'm not the one to disobey the teacher. It has got me into all sorts of trouble back in high school and being wiser(ish) now I just salute and do as told.

I might need to strangle The Fancy Neighbouress though if she continuously neglects to put on loads of weight, wear scruffy clothes and look generally frumpy. She should also be considerate enough to at least TRY to match my clumsiness levels somewhat more adequately. You know who you are! Don't say you haven't been warned!

Anyway, that was our wedding anniversary sorted.

Yesterday we agreed to ship Sir Sprout to adoring grandparents and have the night for ourselves.

You know, like couples do. Before they have children and stuff.

It was going pretty smoothly at the start. Sir Sprout didn't have any objections to staying at grandparents since they were just sitting down for dinner. Eating is an activity which our baby tends to take quite seriously. We left him munching mashed veggies in bliss.

After getting home we had some leftovers from the fridge for dinner. (If you're wondering why all we seem to eat, is leftovers - don't ask. Just. Don't.)

And then we decided to go crazy and visit a pub. I hear you - respectable people like yourselves, what kind of a role models will we be for Sir Sprout etc. Well - we're just reckless and youthful like that.

So there we were, drinks on the table, out on our own. Not saying a thing.

You see, I had a fierce resolve NOT to discuss ANYTHING baby-related. It was a COUPLE time after all. We should talk about -erm- something else. Something personal and meaningful and wow-factor intelligent.

The silence was getting a bit awkward.

Eventually I pulled myself together. I raked my head for any witty, fun, nappy free ideas. I looked around for inspiration. There wasn't any available.

But I was DETERMINED to start a lovely loving chatter. The only option was a subject raffle. Just shake the contents of your brain, pick out a random thought slip and throw it on a table.

"So...are you going skiing next year?"

Aaaaarrrgghhhhhhh!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, we've all had That moment.

It will pass and your neighbor will get dumpy while you get hotter.

Or at least your friends will tell you so.

Martin said...

you know what that means don't you?

time for the next kid. Its the rule of relationships. 1st major silence means you have to get wed, 2nd and all subsequent silences mean its time for the kids....

...Is he going skiing next year?

Anonymous said...

See it's ok, because pubs are not there to be spoken properly in. There is always a slow silence during the first pint, a minor argument during the second, the 'What the hell is your man's name from that show...' conversation during the third, then pure shite from then on.

It's the natural order.

Anonymous said...

Hey by the way I never would've guessed that english isn't your first language!!

You ARE a cunning linguist :)

Foreigner by Default said...

Sue Doe-Nim - Aww, thanks! I'm afraid though that Fancy Neighbouress is just genetically modified to be Absolutely Non-Frumpy. Bummer.

Xbox4NappyRash - I choose to be an exception of THAT rule. Maybe we should just get another dog. I've been dropping hints. No luck so far.

Skiing is still an open issue. We might squeeze couple more conversations out of that subject.

k8 - you're dead right there! We proceeded to much more personal issues like mammoths, overly abundant comforts of modern life, diets and where did all the caves disappear after cavemen ceased to be cavemen. Did council fill them in?

Major bickering about the quality of Estonian sand vs Irish sand followed.

Compliments on me linguistic skills highly appreciated. I've a lot to learn though!

Anonymous said...

the effect of flowers doesn't seem to have the stamina in cutting down on the nagging quotient..although flowers and chocolate definitely ups the staying power...

Is it just me? said...

Hilarious!...So..are you going skiing next year...


also loving shake our racks...

 
template by suckmylolly.com